Tuesday, December 1, 2009

It's a Wonderful Life!



This blog has sort of become a place for me to vent about the everyday frustrations of being a mom of twins. But I've recently learned that venting can sometimes lead people to think that life with my two little boys is anything but wonderful. Even though it can get extremely hard and tiresome I have never been happier!

Life with the boys hasn't always been easy.

The first 2-3 months were alright. I think I was just so happy that I wasn't pregnant anymore I didn't mind getting up for feedings. Plus the newborn stage ended up being better than I had originally planned, so that made things a little easier to take :)

3-6 months was probably the hardest time for me. The boys had to be on a strict schedule in order for things to go smoothly. If they got off even a little there was hell to pay! It took a lot of work, patience and crying to get them on a schedule, but I was grateful that I did. Of course, it left me kind of tied down. I had about an hour leeway for each feeding and nap. If I waited over an hour I usually wanted to rip my hair out when I tried to put them down for bed that night.

Then we reached 6 months to present, and life is WONDERFUL! I slowly learned that their schedule doesn't have to be so exact. We still get naps in at about the same time, but their feedings can be a little more stretched out.

Feedings have also become a lot easier. They learned to hold their own bottles which has just been a delight. And we recently started them on finger foods. Now when they get grumpy I can give them a cracker or a banana to munch on. They love these rice crackers called Baby Mum-Mum's! And they also love Gogurts! Pretty much feedings are a breeze.



I love everyday I get to spend with these boys. I can't seem to soak up all the specialness each day holds.

Of course, there are still those days where I just can't seem to handle the crying and the whining- it's not even like it wears on me all day until I can't take it anymore I usually start out just being upset and I don't know why- But we always get through it, and the next day I'm usually back to loving those boys to death.

Being a mom is the job I've always wanted. I just didn't always know it. I've worked with special needs people for a good majority of my working life. The work was hard(almost as hard as being a mom), but I really love it. Of course, when working with special needs people you usually find yourself reaching an overwhelming "I can't handle this" moment quite often. And when those moments came, for me, I would be filled with regret. I would always think "Why am I here? Why did I say I'd take this shift? I don't want to be here!" But when I reach that overwhelming moment as a mother the thoughts of regret are nowhere to be found. Being a mom is everything I've always loved to do and then some. Yes, it's hard, but the good times are so worth working through the hard times.

1 comment:

  1. Holy moly that sink picture is CUTE! Hazel and Tomy (and Saddie too!) LOVED seeing the boys two weekend in a row. It's going to be a little difficult going back to life-as-usual after having so many cousins to play with. Thank heavens there's Christmas to look forward to. Happy Holidays! and Happy Mothering, too!

    ReplyDelete