Monday, September 27, 2010

A Fun Tradition Gone South!



On Sunday we decided to take a family drive up the Canyon to see the leaves. We geared up and packed our bags so that the drive would be as enjoyable as possible. We grabbed snacks, binkies, bottles, blankets and toys. We piled into the car and headed out.



As we drove up the canyon I couldn't help but be a little disappointed in the leaves. There were some beautiful sights, but it just didn't seem quite as breath taking as it had before. But still we drove on.



Later my disappointment in the outing grew. Not because of the leaves but because of the fussy boy in the back. One of the twins was pulling his usual cranky "I'm going to whine instead of just fall to sleep" routine. We drove on.



Next the baby began to fuss. Of course he did because it was time for him to eat and the hypnotic sensation of driving in the car does not hold this baby over like it did for my other children. Now we were getting truly miserable, but boy was I ever trying to hold on to enjoying this afternoon activity.



We took the turn out for Cascade Springs- our favorite place to visit in the fall- and my husband took the corners like a mad man, as we rushed to get to our destination so we could comfort the crying children.

My big boy was getting crankier and crankier. I'm thinking, "That darn child makes any car ride so miserable I'm sick of it. When we stop he's going to sit in time out. . .or get spanked. . .or something!"



I get more and more frustrated. The cries, and my voice get louder and louder. Then it happened. My big boy threw up all over himself. Instantly I felt the grief. Here I was yelling at him and the whole time the poor thing had an upset tummy. Boy he must have been miserable. I would have been crying too.



We finally reached Cascade Springs, and we got the child all cleaned up and ready to go. Sadly our day just never healed. After all our packing and preparing we left the stroller at home. We didn't have a carrier for the baby either, so he rode in the diaper bag. Cascade Springs didn't present us with it's usual fall splendor, and the children were all very very cranky.



But there was still some fun sights, and we did still manage to enjoy ourselves a little. I guess it wasn't a total bust. It's probably as fun as any family outing will be from here on out.

1 comment:

  1. i think you're right. we have done much as far as an entire family outing goes yet...we have tickets for a halloween provo river boat ride but i think we'll get a sitter for the baby...she tends to make things 5 times harder than they'd otherwise be. good luck! :-/

    ReplyDelete