Sunday, August 22, 2010

Is There Anything Worse?



Before we went camping our boys started to come down with a mild cough. No fever or anything just a little cold. We were drugging them up all over the place. Before every nap and at bedtime we'd pull out the Tylenol, the Gripe Water, the teething tablets and the vapo rub. The boys started to bring me their medicine bag asking for more drugs. Are kids supposed to like taking medicine that much? They were on the mend, we stopped our med routine, and things were good.

Until last Friday.

My children were acting weird. They were so whiny and miserable. Every little thing would make them cry. We went swimming at Grandma and Grandpa's and they would have nothing to do with them. They just wanted mommy- this is very unusual. We got out of the pool and they just started bawling and shaking.

The next day was a pathetic attempt at a second yard sale, and all day long the boys were driving me crazy. We finally made it to nap time. When they awoke the felt so hot. I had wondered if they were feverish all day, but it was always hard to tell because we had been outside so I didn't know if they were just warm from the sun. We finally concluded that they were sick and had a fever. We left them with Grandma and Grandpa while we went to a wedding reception, and then came home and put them in bed.

Oh if we'd only known what Sunday would bring.

I have never, so badly, wanted to be as far away from my children as possible. They wouldn't eat. They wouldn't drink. They would barely take a bath. They wouldn't be held. The only thing they would do is cry. We were giving them medicine, but nothing was working. My parents came to a rather miserable dinner, and said they would take them for a walk. Thank you! My parents returned and told us we should just take them in to the hospital. We agreed, and off we drove.

They cried from the minute we walked in to the minute we left. Nothing would make them happy. Holding them was so hard because they had awful breath, and they were so hot from the fever. The hospital said it was just a virus, but they gave us something that was a lifesaver. The proper dosages for their weight and age. This made all the difference. We ran to Walgreens, and picked up some Tylenol and Ibuprofen, and then we finally stumbled on something the would drink. I don't know if you've heard of those Tum-E Yummies, but I love them. They can make a big mess, but they can also be great for car rides.

We got home and, after having the right medicine dosage, our boys were happy again. They shared some ice cream with me, drank some Tum-E Yummie and then went to bed.

Having sick children is just the worst. Give me an illness, but please spare my children.

Cloth diapering sick children is no fun either. In fact we've decided when they are sick we'll use disposable. Not only do they poop more, but it's harder to wash out and it stains worse then anything.

My kids have never had fevers until recently, and this was my first experience going to the ER. I always feel like the "mom who cried sick" when we take them to the doc or insta care. At least this time they showed the staff that they were really miserable. Usually they are happy as can be and the doctor is saying, "These boys don't look sick."

1 comment:

  1. Wow somehow I feel so much better after reading this. The girls are both asleep so I have time to just surf... They are both sick, and so am I... No there is nothing worse! I now know we will survive! ;)

    ReplyDelete