Friday, August 20, 2010

Parenting Magazines



I pick them up at the doctor's office while I'm waiting to be seen and, for some reason, I get issues here and there sent to my house- I hope I'm not paying for those. I skim through to see if there's anything I find intriguing, and I have found some useful things within their pages, but I don't normally go out of my way or anxiously await the next issue.

But I was glad I decided to pick up the one called "Baby Talk" that was sent to our house the other day. I skimmed through the articles, and I found one that I knew I had to read: Mom Confessions "I wish I had a Girl".

The article was exactly what I needed. I related perfectly to feelings of the mom it was about. And it offered words of comfort, and convinced me that my break down at the ultra sound was not a sign of being an unstable or bad mom.

The mom, in the article, was expecting twins and was told that one was a boy and one was a girl. On delivery day they both came out boys however, and she couldn't help but feel disappointed. She said, "What happened to the baby girl that was so real in my head and heart?"

I read that I knew exactly what she meant. You feel like you've lost something even though you still have a healthy baby.

The article said that keeping these feelings inside can lead to postpartum and it is better to let them out. So I must say thank you, again, mom for convincing me to talk to you about it. And thank you to my husband who listened to my partially psychotic rantings for two days in a row.

It also said that 8 out of 10 women who say they don't care if it's a boy or a girl are disappointed with the gender of their baby.

The article continued to say that, within hours, maternal instincts kicked in and the mother was in love with her baby boys. I know I'll love this baby no matter what, but I was so relieved to find out I'm not a horrible person for having moments of disappointment over having a 3rd boy.

It also mentioned a book called Lullabies and Alibis that I may have to get my hands on.

2 comments:

  1. aww, you are so honest.. that would be hard to feel like you lost something even though you had a healthy baby.
    It is amazing how much we plan on, just based on the ultrasound. Clothing, nursery, names, even a future.
    I'm going to bet you have a girl one of these days.. I personally, always thought I'd have 3 boys. Now that's what you & Jessica have

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could so see you having all boys and just loving it! I hope one day I get a girl. Though sometimes, when I stop to think about it, I'm kind of nervous to raise one.

    ReplyDelete